Monday, March 12, 2007
Tonight's Windy Ridge (Anaheim) Fire UPDATE
(Video courtesy of watashiwabritney on YouTube)
Here's the latest update on the Windy Ridge Wildfire, courtesy of The OC Register:
- 2,740 homes have been evacuated. 240 of those homes are in Anaheim Hills, and 2,500 are in Orange. All evacuees have been allowed to return to their homes. Residents in the Hidden Canyon area in Anaheim Hills are still under voluntary evacuation. Only residents will be allowed into the neighborhood.
- 3 structures were burned today. One single-family home with a shake roof in the in Anaheim Hills was damaged, while another two houses in Anaheim Hills have been completely destroyed.
- 80% contained? So far, that's the latest estimate. As of tonight, 2,080 acres have been burned.
- Some roads are still closed. Most roads in Anaheim Hills and East Orange are open. However in the vicinity of Serrano and the Hidden Canyon area in Anaheim Hills, the roads are still closed. Only residents are allowed in. Only two lanes are open on the 241 toll road.
- Firefighters are still on the scene. Right now, over 100 fire engines, 5 bulldozers, 20 strike teams, 20 hand crews, about 600 firefighters are working to contain the fire. However, 800 firefighters and structural firefighters who worked here yesterday were dismissed today.
- Was this arson? A burning abandoned car with stolen license plates ignited vegetation about 50 feet off the 241 toll road yesterday morning, and authorities are feeling quite sure now that this caused the great fire. Police suspect that this car was deliberately set on fire, and they are asking anyone who saw suspects running from the vicinity Sunday morning to call authorities.
All of us in OC are watching what happens at Windy Ridge right now. And yes, I'm still hoping that all these poor folks can return home safely and soon.
(Cross-posted at Calitics)