Saturday, November 04, 2006

Haggard Dismissed as New Life Pastor

This just in from the AP Wire:

The Rev. Ted Haggard was dismissed Saturday as leader of the megachurch he founded after a board determined the influential evangelist had committed "sexually immoral conduct," the church said Saturday.

Haggard had resigned two days earlier as president of the National Association of Evangelicals, where he held sway in Washington and condemned homosexuality, after a Denver man named Mike Jones claimed to have had drug-fueled trysts with him. He also had placed himself on administrative leave from the New Life Church, but its Overseer Board took the stronger action Saturday.

"Our investigation and Pastor Haggard's public statements have proven without a doubt that he has committed sexually immoral conduct," the independent board said in a statement.

Haggard was "informed of this decision," the statement said, and he "agreed as well that he should be dismissed."


So apparently, the Church Overseer Board isn't buying the "I bought meth, but never used it... Oh, and I got a massage, but never had sex" story from Haggard.

Good for them!

Haggard is yet another religious right hypocrite who refuses to practice what he preaches. What gave him the right to call queer people like me "sinners" who "need to repent", while he was secretly enjoying all these "sinful acts"? Hey, at least I've been faithful to my partner! At least my friends have never cheated on their partners! Oh, and I can honestly say that I've NEVER used an illegal drug in my life!

How is it that many of us "heathen" progressives actually live more "wholesome, moral" lives than these "values conservatives" who say one thing and do another?

This just always boggles me.

No comments: