Monday, February 19, 2007

The REAL Laguna Beach: My Beloved California Dream

Laguna Beach has always had a special place in my heart. Perhaps it is because Laguna is so unigue among the beach cities here. Or perhaps, it is all the natural beauty. Or perhaps, it is the flavor of the town itself. Or perhaps, it is all of this and more...

But what happens if all of this is lost? What happens if my beloved Laguna is lost as it gets sucked into the surreal circus of MTV? What happens if Laguna loses its own self and gets lost into the unreal "reality" of its neighbors?

This is why I wrote my letter to Laguna. Follow me down below to see more (including more photos!)...





(Cross-posted at Calitics)

My Darling Laguna,


I've always loved you. Ever since I was a small child, and my parents would take me to the tidepools at Moss Street Beach, I have been captivated by your sheer radiance. Ever since my first visit to Heisler Park, I have been awestruck by the near supernatural quality of your natural beauty. Ever since I began swimming at Treasure Island, I have been amazed by your sheer brilliance.





For some reason, I have always felt at ease within your borders. You have never ostracized me over my queerness. You have always let me explore my artistic side. And oh yes, you have always seemed to appreciate my inner "enviro-nut". I guess since you are so eclectic and creative, you don't mind me being the same way. Perhaps that's why we're so good together.






OK, so you have gone through some growing pains lately. We still don't know if we can save your marvelous Boom Boom Room. We don't know how you will adapt to being so famous, Yes, these best of times have also been the worst of times for you.




But you know what? I'm confident that you will survive... And thrive! Those other folks don't know the real you like I do. They don't understand that there's more to you than just the glitz and glamour. You have a rugged side, and an artistic side. And I have seen them both. You have always delighted me in so many ways, and I don't know what would ever happen if I were to lose you. I guess that's why I have such hope that you will make it through these growing pains. You have gone through rough times before, yet you have always come out stronger than ever.






Yes, you will continue to be as wild and untamed as ever. And yes, you will continue to be as fabulously queer as ever. And yes, you will continue to be as artistically creative as ever. And yes, I will always love you.


After all, you are my sun-kissed California dream come true. I love you, Laguna.




















No comments: