Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Why I'm Running in AD 69

Here's an advance of the speech I'd like to give this Sunday at the caucus. Oh, and by the way, here's the lowdown on the 69th AD caucus:

AD #69
1/14/07 at 2:00pm
1401 E. Beachwood, Santa Ana
Convenor: Mark Hull-Richter
949.632.8403 / mhullrich@gmail.com

..................................

Hello! My name is Andrew Davey, and I am running for State Central Committee. Early last year, I interned with Francine Busby's campaign for Congress in San Diego County, and this is where I began to learn about the internal workings of the Democratic Party as we fought to take back CA-50, and came close, but not quite close enough. Later this year, I came back home to Orange County, and I volunteered with Lou Correa's campaign for State Senate in the 34th Senate District. Fortunately, we kept SD 34 blue. Unfortunately, our internal problems made this feat much too difficult.

Now, I am running because I am sick and tired of the same old lack of support for candidates, as well as the same old fights that have split this local party for way too many years. I have lived in Orange County my whole life, and I have been encouraged by the many gains that Democrats have made here in recent years. However, all those gains were in deep jeopardy last year, as the Republicans successfully closed the registration gap in the 34th State Senate District, and came dangerously close to winning last November. As the Republicans were busy registering voters (legally and illegally), we were too busy fighting over old disputes that should be ancient history!

While Lou Correa was ultimately successful in keeping SD 34 blue last November, our work is FAR FROM OVER! We need to get active again, and begin reaching out to our working-class communities again. I am a Progressive Slate candidate, and while many of us disagree on a few minor issues, I am sure that ALL OF US can agree on this common set of goals:

1. Quality, affordable health care for all

2. Eliminating poverty by enacting livable wages while offering quality education for all our youth

3. Bringing our troops home from Iraq as soon as possible

4. Protecting our natural resources for our future

5. Ensuring that no one is ever again disenfranchised from voting, just because of nationality and party affiliation

I hope that no matter who you vote for today, that in the end, we can all support candidates and policies that make these goals a reality. I appreciate this chance to speak to you today, and I would really appreciate your vote today. Thank you!

No comments: