Monday, December 04, 2006

2008: We're ALL Democrats in the End!

OK, so I saw David Sirota's post on Daily Kos about Barack Obama...
And I talked about my own personal wrangling over Obama here on my blog.

OK, so some high-profile progressives, such as Norman Solomon and Molly Ivins, have already come out clearly against what will likely be a Hillary Clinton candidacy...
And to be honest, right now I'm 99% sure that I won't vote for Hillary in the primary...

And I'm sure we'll hear grumbling about the other Democratic Presidential hopefuls once they start going after their fifteen minutes of cable news publicity...

But still, I'm troubled when I hear any progressive suggest that a vote for a psuedo-moderate Republican (like John McCain and Rudy Giuliani) in November 2008...
And I'm troubled when I hear any progressive suggest that the only "real progressive choice" is some third party candidate...
I'm sorry, but I don't understand how one could allow for a hawkish, corporatist Republican to win over a Democrat. Even though not all the Democratic candidates may be as progressive as I'd like to see, I also think that ANY of these Democrats would make a better President in 2009 than ANY of the Republicans running!

I just ask that all who are considering ditching us for a GOPer stops, and thinks about what all those GOPers REALLY STAND FOR:

1. A continuation of this failed Iraq War (They all support an
indefinite continuation of this illegal, immoral war)
2. A curtailing of our civil liberties (They all support the Patriot
Act, torture, and the illegal NSA wiretaps)
3. A broken trade regime: None of the GOPers will address any of the
serious inequality dilemmas that we're facing with globalization.

Of course, there's much more than just that...
But I think that these are all serious issues that we should stop and think about, before falling for the rhetoric of some pseudo-moderate GOPer who tries to woo us with his "I'm pro-choice... I'm environmentally progressive... I don't mind the gays... I'm fill-in-the-blank."

Just a polite warning from a blogger who doesn't just want to send someone to the White House in 2008...
I want to send someone who will clean up the immense mess that Bush has made!

OK, so I understand that we have the primaries coming up in the not-so-distant future...
So now is also a good time to begin debating over where we want to take this party of ours, and who we want to lead our nation in 2009...
So let's try to keep the dialogue civil, and let's talk about legitimate issues within the party, and about the various candidates...
And whoever wins the nomination, let's unite behind our Democratic candidate in 2008, and let's take back the White House!

No comments: